So, I’ve recently received confirmation from work that I’m off to the US (for my first time ever) on Saturday week. After two weeks of training in The Googleplex (koolaid included), I spend a week in Santa Monica to do some actual work. Then I’m talking a week off as a holiday before I return home.
Deciding where to go on holiday wasn’t overly complicated, since there are only a handful of places in the US I have an immediate interest in seeing (outstanding items on my list consists of New York and Las Vegas/The Grand Canyon). Since I’ll get a few days in San Francisco anyway, there’s only one other place on my list, which is conviently in the neighbourhood (so to speak). So I’m going to spend 6 days sitting on a beach in Maui, Hawaii. Not bad for a holiday destination within three months of finishing college… 🙂
Do expect lots of photographs taken with my new digital camera to appear on Flickr.com during my travels.
When I return from my travels, I shall be returning to a new desk in the shiny, new block of Google Ireland offices which are next door to the current offices), maybe there will be luxuries such as a gym, on site massages and the sushi bar within the canteen like in the US, but I may not be that lucky…
One thing I’ve quickly realised in my new job is that I need to start using a PDA again. It’s just not practical having to manually sync my Filofax organiser with kGTD and iCal. I really have missed my Tungsten-T, although it did live a rich 2.5 year life before dying a few months ago.
So, given my current situation, desktop enviromnent and basic PDA needs, I guess my requirements are:
- Works with iSync on MacOS X out of the box – the deal breaker
- Palm Powered – I don’t want a Windows Mobile or Symbian based option, mainly because of the wide range of software available for PalmOS
- Bluetooth – to use iSync without needing a cable
Now, let’s look at my wishlist:
- QWERTY keyboard – because it’s faster than Grafitti
- Integrated email Client – so I have a portable, non Crackberry email solution
- WiFi – so I don’t have to pay my mobile provider rediculous amounts of money all the time.
- Quad Band GSM/GPRS/UTMS Phone to allow comprehensive roaming (if I go down the Smartphone route)
So, I guess my options are the Treo 650 and the T|X.
The Treo is more expensive, lacks WiFi and is currently becoming obsolete in the US. On the other hand, it is a quad band phone, supports GSM (which I need in Europe, so the Treo 700p in the US is DOA to me) and basically satisfies every requiement or wish list item I have with the single exception of one – WiFi.
The TX is the cheaper of the two and it satisfies all of the requirements except for the QWERTY keyboard and the quad band smartphone. I guess I could use it with my tri band mobile phone to effectively satisfy my wireless GPRS/UTMS requirement. Then all that’s left is the QWERTY keyboard, which could be dealt with by a bluetooth keyboard.
Hmmm, it seems I’m at an empass – do I need WiFi or a QWERTY keyboard more? Does anyone (preferably an existing Treo 650 or TX user) have any suggestions?
So, I haven’t updated this in the last two weeks. What have I been up to:
- Gatecrashed^W Wandered along to ApacheCon EU, primarily to build up my WoT at the GPG Keysigning session. I even managed to fit in a round of “Can Nóirín Say the Right Name?“, which is always fun to play. 🙂
- Had a lot of hassle with banks as I try to move away from the student banking services I’ve had to live with. Ulster Bank were especially annoying, losing paperwork before internally redirecting it, etc. I thought trying a different branch would make a difference, but after a false positive, alas this theory was disproven. Hooray for incompetence^W gratutitiously inefficient beaurocrasy. </sarcasm>
- Come to the conclusion within 2 weeks that I really, really, really enjoy my job. My colleagues are great fun, the atmosphere and work environment is very cool, oh and the ethnic food options for lunch every day generates bonus points. 🙂