Hallelujah!!

Multiple Email Identities in Mail.app

The main gripe I’ve had with Mail.app seems to have been there all along, but undocumented (as far I could could tell). All you have to do to have multiple email addresses connected to a single email account is comma seperate them in the “Email Address” field under Accounts in the Mail.app preferences. Why is such a simple thing so hard to find on google?!?

In a slighly related area, I’ve started to play around with High Priority, as recommended by Suw in the pub this evening. It’s a nifty way to filter iCal To Do items into a Menu Item, complete with priority and due date filtering and my personal favourite, it can highlight items by calendar colour. 🙂

I’m also going to play with Fuhgeddaboutit for a few days, to see if I find it useful…

A Little Something for MacOS X and Mutt Users…

Hypothetically, let’s say you are a Unix/Linux power user/admin, who now has a Mac.

One of the applications you use on your Mac is the Address Book, which can connect to your mobile phone, PDA or whatever else you want.

Since you are a power user, you probably also use Mutt to read your email on a Unix server.

Now we have a problem. There are ways of using the Address Book with mutt locally. But that won’t work for Mutt on a remote server.

Hence why I adapted an example I found on Google, into this little gem in a few minutes, after discovering somebody actually made Mac::Glue, a CPAN module that acts like GUI scripting interface AppleScript has.

I think I’ll be using Mac::Glue a little more often…

"It's ingenious, I tell you…"

So, now that I’ve actually started to get somewhere with my fyp, things are good. Admittedly, it’s due to be demonstrated sometime in the first few weeks of April, so there’s only so much time left, but with a bit of luck and a lot of coding throughout March, I should be fine. 🙂

In the last few days, I’ve been trying to devise a message format for when I send messages between my client and server. Then, Mr Coady gave me a good idea. There’s a draft JEP which is how to use OpenPGP with XMPP (otherwise known as Jabber). I’ve looked into it a bit, and XMPP looks like the way forward.

So, thinking about it, I guess my project is now becoming a Jabber client/server of sorts, where by if you are able to log into a system running my (soon to exist) server, then you are effectively authenticated into a Jabber server. Since my client is going to be rather similar to write(1), it’s going to pass XMPP messages to the server running locally. Then the server can make the decision if it should deliver the message to the recipient local user, try to find the designated server on a remote node, or I guess, find say a little known Jabber network.

Now things are getting interesting… 🙂

Electric Fences and Redundancy…

I spent most the the weekend trying to complete a slightly overdue milestone in my fyp. This did involve trying to get Electric Fence to compile on Mac OS X. Eventually, I found a reference to the problems I was having, along with a working solution. Progress has been made, although still not as much as I wanted, but caffeine intake and motivation are both up…

Otherwise, it’s been a rather dull weekend. The only other significant thing I did was decide to switch away from Firefox and Thunderbird, back to Safari and Mail.app, for a few reasons. Mainly, the naggling little bugs the Mozilla apps have on OS X (such as lack of support for network location proxy details, not being able to access the OS X Address Book and the ever annoying false biff mail notification quirk) have just been getting on my nerves in recent times.

I’ve also become more concerned about the data I store in any one place without a backup, after seeing first hand the problems data failure caused someone in college recently. Hence I finally gave up on the idea of creating a home brewed WebDAV setup to emulate .Mac, and just renewed my trial account. After all, it’s cheap and obviously RAIDed…

Return to Paper

This afternoon I realised just how severe recent issues I’ve had with my aged, well used and rather battered Palm Pilot is resetting itself at least once a day. It’s effectively useless if it’s not going to retain any information. I guess my trial with a FiloFax again is going to be a little more permanent that I initially thought.

I’m not too bothereed about it. It does mean my idea to get a Treo SmartPhone at some point soon is more likely (I’d like a Blackberry-esque device, which can talk IMAPS and SMTP-AUTH over SSL and sync with MacOS X).

The question is, do I still want the 650, or should I keep my eye out for the new models believed to be on the way.

It's so very true…

One of the many changes I’ve made in recent weeks to save more time is to read the RSS feeds of people’s blogs in bloglines, rather than viewing their website directly. Of course, this system works in most cases, except for the few people with custom blog engines, so they have no RSS feed. I’m not naming anybody at all. *ahem*

And don’t get me started on broken RSS feeds, like the one from mneylon.com. It always appears to flag the 9 most recent entries as unread, every time!! *grrr*

Although I’m not a fan of web comics, I also discovered somebody has created an RSS feed of the Dilbert daily strip, so I sometimes have something to chuckle about for a few seconds. Today was one of those days…

Dilbert Dailt Strip - 20060201