Almost 3 years ago, I built myself a homebrew 10TB NAS for what I considered to be quite a reasonable price for such a compact, flexible system.
Having felt some envy towards to Pim van Pelt and the NAS setup he built himself in December, I realised that my setup was rapidly approaching it’s third anniversary. Even though it’s not full, it is showing it’s age, as well as having a few quirks (like no working serial port to console in on), not to mention a flakey BIOS which has occasional issues booting, etc. It had also become my workhorse box of choice in the house, even though it was a lowly 1.5GHz Intel Atom CPU. But my setup had an eSATA connector, so I started to think about extending it with a disk enclosure.
Then, at the beginning of February, I tried to flash the BIOS to get off the no longer supported OEM branded BIOS (which I thought was just a custom splash screen), only to run into BIOS checksum errors, followed by new and novel booting problems. Ultimately, the system was no longer booting and I was dead in the water.
Some failed attempts at debugging the problem turned into researching components for a replacement system, which arrived a week later. After a few false starts due to attempts of being thrifty, reusing disks and USB keys that I had lying around as the system disk, I now have an awesome new Intel H67 MicroATX based setup, with a 3.6GHz quad core Intel IvyBridge CPU,
16GB 32GB of RAM (and space for another 16GB when I get around to expanding it even more) and a Sharkoon 5 bay eSATA enclosure. While one of the requirements of v1.0 was a neat form factor, physical space is no longer an issues so the main requirement is modular design, allowing for expansion (aka eSATA expansion modules) and a PCI or PCIe slot to provide a serial COM port for my homebrew console server setup.
A few weeks on and things are almost back to normal, in no small part due to ZFS’ ability to be imported from one system to the next. All the usual services I was running before we’re fairly easy to setup gain. The one thorn in my side is the Squeezebox server, whose port in FreeBSD is stale and unloved, resulting in dependency hell on a recent system. Despite being EOLed by Logitech, I’ve started playing around, trying to create a port the newest release of the recently renamed Logitech Media Server since it supports SQLite instead of MySQL (MySQL schema problems being the problems I ran into) and the community developed replacement is still vapourware.
I still need to get around to running benchmarks on the eSATA setup (which I’ve deferred until I install a 64GB SSD I’ve picked up as the long term system disk) and tuning ZFS to the system to the system settings. I’m still mildly in awe of the CPU bump. The v1.0 system used to take 4 hours to do a fairly predictable ffmpeg based transcoding job, which was long and intensive enough that I’d schedule them to run overnight. The v2.0 system with it’s 8 effective (HyperThreading enabled) cores, the same workload take a mere 14 minutes! And I still can’t find a way to get the system to draw more than 49W.
I <3 living in the future.